Saturday, December 8, 2012

CEA...like the CIA...it's all about surveillance

This post is a return to discussion of my cancer journey as I am preparing myself mentally for the next round of surveillance tests, at the 9 month post-surgery and diagnosis mark.  December 20.  Another significant date.  You see it is on December 20 that I have another special blood test, the CEA test (Carcinoembryonic Antigen), and meet with my Oncologist.   If you remember from a previous posting, the CEA test is a blood test that is part of the surveillance protocol specific to colon cancer.  Cancer of the colon typically secrets a protein known as carcinoembryonic antigen and 70% of colon cancer patients return positive markers for this protein . http://www.lifelabs.com/Lifelabs_BC/Patients/MedicalConditions/Colon_Cancer_-_CEA.asp
So...elevated levels of CEA in the blood can indicate recurrence of the tumour or metastatic spread to other areas of the body.  My last CEA test in August showed no elevation of this marker.  Now, some weeks after the completion of my chemotherapy regimen, this test will be important to gauge the success of the drug therapy at preventing recurrence or spread of the cancer.

One week before Christmas...great timing.   I realize that with the birth of my son recently I have been entirely focused (thankfully) on something other than my cancer and this upcoming next milestone.  But I would be lying if I didn't recognize that there is always in the back of my conciousness this anxiety about this test.  I guess I accept that this will be my "fate" for the next several years - trying desperately to NOT think about the battle, to NOT fear the worst - and focus on the positive, life-affirming things in my world. So...until then I remain focused on my life with Benjamin and Victoria.  You cannot get more life-affirming than having a newborn baby to nuture, to watch develop and grow. 

My health is slowly (and I emphasize slowly) improving.  Ironically, I have been stricken with a bad cold - ironic because I endured 7 months of treatments, a complete bottoming out of my immune system, being at high risk for infection and being on alert for any fever or cold/ illness that could be serious for someone immune compromised like me without getting sick other than the drug side effects.  Then, within a month of completing these treatments I get this.  Oh well.   It is what it is.  I am starting a new supplement regimen now to restore and rebuild both my GI system and my immunity.  This includes bovine colostrum supplements, Vitamin C powder, Plant Sterols, probiotic supplements and lots and lots of ginger, garlic, green and white tea.  I recognize that it took 7 months to pretty much destroy my GI tract and immune system so it will take some time to restore my systems to health.  My energy level is getting better each day.  My taste buds are coming back - YIPPPPPEEEEE!!!!!!!!  Unfortunately my fingers and toes are still a friggin' mess.  I have difficulty typing, writing, holding anything in my fingers that requires fine motor skills and my nails are just a disaster.  They are rippled, cracked, hurt and will take months to grow out.  And I have discovered a new side effect that is not getting better at all - when I close my eyes when standing such as in the shower I become immediately imbalanced, disoriented and almost dangerously unsteady.  But, again, it is what it is.  I am determined to recover, keep my diet healthy, get physically fit as best as I can, continue to manage my mental and emotional health through activities like the registered massage therapy and this blog (I use this blog as my own release, my own therapy if you will).

Until next post, much love and good health to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment