Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Just when you thought you were eating "healthy"

First a disclaimer if you will.  I don't for one second pretend to be an expert on the subject of GMOs (genetically modified organisms), food, organic versus conventionally raised food, "healthy" "safe" foods versus unhealthy or unsafe foods.  I don't want to sound preachy here or like I am standing on a soapbox.  I would rather invoke (not provoke) thought, discussion and perhaps even thoughtful discussion about this whole topic of food, of GMOs, of organic versus conventional agriculture. This topic of food and particularly GMOs has become increasingly more significant to me in light of my battle with colon cancer at such a young age.  I have incessantly (and perhaps even obsessively) questioned if my diet, the food and drink that I consumed in my life caused my colon cancer?  Were there are environmental factors such as pesticides, insecticides, GMOs that were part of the cause?  I will never know...but just want to put this post into some context. Where GMOs are concerned, I would suggest that we just don't know what the impacts are to our human bodies and it is worth at least discussion and open dialogue.  

There is a video entitled Genetic Roulette http://vimeo.com/53995182 that is, in my opinion, intensely thought provoking, and hopefully discussion-provoking.  At the end of the day, do we definitively know that the food that we consume especially the food that is genetically engineered or genetically modified, is safe to our human bodies?  And if the answer is that we do not definitively know that they are then we all have a right to ask the the tough questions, to engage in the discussion, to advocate for change, to push our legislators, our lawmakers, our leaders to push for a food supply that IS safe, that has the health of its consumers at the centre of the wheel.

I have become so consumed with the topic of food, and as you know from my previous posts have really committed to as much as possible following as healthy a diet and lifestyle, that I just signed a petition -- Bring Mandatory GMO Labeling To Canada.  I would encourage all who read this to join me to advocate for openness and transparency for food labelling in Canada - to allow us consumers to know if our food that we are purchasing is genetically modified or contains GMOs - and to allow us to make an informed choice. Click the link to find out more and to sign the petition advocating for GMO labelling.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Bring_Mandatory_GMO_Labeling_To_Canada/?kgxwleb 

Thanks for reading.  Posted with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment