Sunday, March 23, 2014

A not so Happy Anniversary

I can still remember the Oncologist's words..."David.  I have some good news and some not-so-good news."

Ok.  Good news? - there is some good news.  Let me see...what could that good news be? I don't have cancer?  Or...maybe it is that even if I do have cancer - they got it all.  All clear.  Nothing to worry about.  They got it in time.  Go off and recover from the surgery, get married and LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER!!!

I wish.

The good news is that the surgery was successful and it appears that the tumour has been cleanly removed.  Yippeeee!!!! 13cm of my colon removed (but it should be better than ever).

But the bad news.

Bad news?  What could be worse than the discovery of a medium to large size growth in my sigmoid colon that required urgent surgical intervention?

The bad news is that the pathology confirms that of 17 lymph nodes removed and sent for analysis, 2 have come back positive for cancer.  Your cancer has spread regionally.  We should discuss further treatment options such as chemotherapy to try and statistically reduce the risk of recurrence.

WTF?  Are you kidding me?  Here I am laying alone in my hospital bed for the first time in over a week since Victoria is having her bridal shower party today.  You see...we're getting married in 4 weeks!!!!  Reduce what risk of recurrence?  I thought you got it all?!

So you see...this Sunday represents a very special significant milestone.  Today marks two years from diagnosis and communication of pathology of Stage IIIb along with decision to start a curative-intent chemotherapy regimen  - and the beginning of a long tough tough journey. 

All my previous posts tell my story of the past two years...my journey with colon cancer...my battle, my ups and downs, my very detailed experiences with treatment, recovery and survival.


But this post is also a brief update and message of encouragement to all you fantastic, super-awesomely terrific, wickedly great and honourary members of the Kicking the Crap Crew.  

The 3rd Annual Bum Run is just a mere 34 days away and I am proud to say that we - the KTCC 3.0 - is on the board.  We find ourselves in 4th place overall for team fundraising but on the board nonetheless - YAY!!!!  The Bum Run itself has now raised over 53% of it fundraising goal.  I would like to humbly encourage you - okay let's call it shamelessly ask you to support me or any other member of the KTCC (http://my.myccc.ca/davidbenjaminbrown

I am living proof that every dollar, every person made aware of the importance of colon cancer screening, of early detection, of education and awareness of risk factors and prevention is worth the ask. In different ways any of you that have taken the time to stop, read my story, and show your support in your own way have played such a significant role in keeping me positive, in supporting me when I just didn't feel so well - neither physically nor mentally.  



And hey...if this is a ten-round fight in light of the latest good news from my Oncologist at my two-year followup appointment this past week then I would say with confidence that Round Four goes to....me.  I am that much closer to kicking the crap out of colon cancer.  




No comments:

Post a Comment