Monday, March 30, 2015

Round 6 Down...and Brown is Kicking It!!!

Came across this cartoon and think it pretty impactful in getting the message out.. 

Cartoons help loved ones discuss colon cancer screening | NJ.com

And then I came across this one for a fridge magnet of all things and I cannot stop chuckling...right up my alley... no pun intended.

Colon Check Fridge Magnet

Like I have said in previous posts, the parallel to me of this battle with colon cancer is to compare to a 10-round boxing match.  Since the most significant milestone is that 5 year mark from curative-intent surgical removal of my tumour every round is 6 more months of survival.  For the first three years these months have been filled with sigmoid resection surgery, 12 rounds of FOLFOX chemotherapy over 7 months, 3 rounds of Neupogen injections to stimulate white blood cell production when my levels dropped to a more dangerous point, 4 CT scans, nuclear bone scans, 2 ultrasounds of the liver, an MRI of my liver, a chest and lung x-ray,10 CEA blood tests, ~30 port-a-catheter flushes, a colonoscopy.  And now three years since diagnosis I continue to be winning the battle.  I may be bruised and battered, scarred for sure, have been poked and prodded with needles more times that a person should be, and may have been knocked to the mat a few times but each time have bounced back up and returned the blow with a few jabs and punches of my own.   Round 6 is in the books.  Bring on 



Excuse the really really cheesy insertion of some Destiny's Child lyrics here and in no way do I think my story resembles that of Beyonce and the girls but hey...it's my blog and I just passed the three year mark for advanced colon cancer and I feel like shouting it out.  

Now that you're outta my life
I'm so much better
You thought that I'd be weak without you
But I'm stronger

I'm a survivor (What?)
I'm not gon give up (What?)
I'm not gon stop (What?)
I'm gon work harder (What?)
I'm a survivor (What?)
I'm gonna make it (What?)
I will survive (What?)
Keep on survivin' (What?)


Picture the Kicking the Crap Crew dressed up in camouflage gear with our toned midriffs showing kicking it to these lyrics below....ummm....maybe not.  I don't think we can pull that off :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment