Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Hello, taste? Taste? Where are you?

So it's Day 6 of Treatment #4 and like my friend, fellow cancer battler and blogger, Barb, says it feels like it's TSN Turning Point day.  My energy level is coming back, the nausea and heartburn are almost non-existent now and the other GI tract issues are manageable.  Sure I still have the sensory neuropathy and touching anything in the fridge or freezer or drinking anything from the fridge or freezer is a no-go, but at least I am not confined to the couch or bed like with previous treatments.    The side effect that is still a pisser is the complete lack of taste and lack of appetite trigger....I am constantly left wanting for some sense of taste of the food that I am eating...whether it be pasta sauce, curry, tomatoes, whatever...I get a little taste from mangoes, garlic, and watermelon but for the most part it feels like (or tastes like) I have scrubbed off all the taste buds on my tongue, inside my mouth and ran a tongue scraper along my gums.  And my lips feel numb. 

This morning I also met with my family doctor to have her remove the sutures from the port-a-cath implantation last week.  The last appointment I had with her was to remove the staples from my surgery back in March so it was good to reconnect with her and to talk to her about the treatment plan.  She noticed immediately that I had put some weight back on from when she had last seen me and remarked at how positive that is...that despite the fact that I am a third of the way into treatments you wouldn't immediately know it by looking at me.  It's amazing how that comment boosted my mental spirits...there are some things happening that I and/or Victoria are noticing such as my hair thinning, little red spots appearing all over my arms and hands...but others don't notice these things and don't see me as sick or fragile.

A number of you have sent me articles or information about alternative therapies, foods that benefit the fight against cancer and supplements that are being looked at positively in conjunction with traditional drug therapy for fighting cancer, particularly colorectal cancer.  Please know that I appreciate all of it. I appreciate all the suggestions.  I recognize that it always comes from a place of caring.  I must admit though that it can be overwhelming sometimes reading everything out there and can be really difficult to glean the "facts" and "truth" from what is being reported or documented as "truth" out there.  As I said recently to a good friend of mine, Adam, I don't buy into some of the conspiracy theories or articles that tout the benefits of a food or supplement (i.e. asparagus as an example) to cure cancer but that the big bad pharmaceutical companies and medical industry (including doctors, insurance companies etc.) actively block these natural and proven cures because it is in their best interest to do so. I will definitely discuss with my Oncologist because I firmly believe that as long as it doesn't interfere with the chemotherapy regimen then natural supplements or alternative therapies such as curcumin, capsaicin etc. can offer great positive benefits both in supporting overall health and possibly wider benefits in fighting cancer. I am particularly intrigued at some research emerging about curcumin and its possibilities in conjunction with conventional therapy to fight colorectal cancer, particularly drug-resistant cancer cells (thanks Adam for sending those links to me) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20332435 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17918158

It definitely does not hurt to discuss, to probe, to challenge assumptions and to generally advocate for as comprehensive an approach to treatment as possible.

Gotta go...have a lot of reading to do.

4 comments:

  1. Dave,
    I have heard some very very good results with curcumin when it comes to GI Cancers - the head pharmacist at one of my pharmacies gave it to her dad when he was unable to tolerate any chemo - and she fully believes it helped to save his life. I myself cannot take it bc it will interact with the Avastin - both of which can cause internal bleeding. I am however taking Low Dose Naltrexone and have just had another phramacist at the hospital recommend a wheat germ supplement called Ave - from www.americanbiosciences.com - check it out if you have time. It has actually been studied in several different types of cansers and the pharmacy team is trying to work with the oncologists to initiate it in patients who have been newly diagnosed. It looks like an immune modulator that can slow tumor growth and makes a patient feel better with respect to nausea and energy. Just ANOTHER, and likely overwhelming suggestion - but I am starting it today and will definitely give you some feedback.
    I have been sleeping on the sofa all afternoon as I have Chemo #13 today. It was much quicker without the Oxaliplatin in the mix, so was easier to take. Hope you are doing well Dave and that you have discovered "Magic Mouthwash" and Biotene products (toothpaste, mouthwash and cream) to make your mouth feel better. Take good care my friend, I think of you often.
    BJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Barb. I will check out Ave...and discuss with my Oncologist. Please do give me some feedback if you can about your experience with it. I am going to talk about curcumin as well so I will let you know the feedback from the team. I am not on Avastin and from what research I have read (although I am no expert) there does not seem to be toxicity or interaction with curcumin and FOLFOX..in fact it seems to optimize the chemo.

      I need to stock up on the Biotene...just ran out of the toothpaste and mouthwash my Dentist gave me. It does seem to stimulate my taste buds while combating the dry-mouth.

      Thinking of you as well, Barb. Keep strong and keep blogging.
      DB

      Delete
  2. Hi Dave, I have been reading your blog and am glad that this is giving you a forum to communicate with all your friends about your treatment and RECOVERY. All of this is preparation for your long life ahead, spent with Vic and the baby. Hugs to you and my awesome friend,
    Mary Knight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary for your words of encouragement and support. I will certainly keep blogging...for my own therapy and to stay connected with friends and family who want to know how I am doing on the journey.

      Victoria and I are so looking forward to our life ahead with our baby! In the short-term, I cannot wait for the end of the school year for Victoria's sake...looking forward to seeing her relax and de-stress...and look forward to some much needed R&R with her this summer.

      Thanks for reading, Mary and hugs right back to you and your family.

      DB

      Delete