Monday, October 29, 2012

Looking for that silver lining

Just a brief update to all on a very stormy Monday in TO (or at least we are prepared for the storm to hit tonight) that my last treatment, Treatment #12, has been delayed.  My platelets have bottomed out again to their second lowest level, 66, in the 6 months of treatment.  The threshold for treatment for my Oncologist is 75 - and the only thing we can do right now is wait...give it time...let nature run its course and generate platelets and red blood cells over time.  

My parents were beside me in the waiting room today after making the long trek down from Guelph when my nurse came into the room to talk to me/us. Remember from a previous post that when they come into the room and sit down beside you that the news isn't good.  If it was good, if all was fine and I was given the green light for treatment they just come to the waiting room door and call your name to go into the Treatment room.  Monique, one of the ONC nurses, was sad for me to relay that Dr. Lingas wasn't going to take any chances with my health and safety and re-scheduled me for bloodwork for one week later - next Monday. After calling Victoria and letting her know the bad news she suggested I inquire about going back later in the week to try again rather than waiting a whole week.  So I spoke to the head nurse at the Clinic, Janet, and asked her if Thursday could be an option.  Although she is not optimistic that three days will be enough to bring my platelets up to a safe level she knows my/our story and knows that this is my last treatment and that Victoria is now 36 weeks pregnant and can really go into labour anytime.  So we will try again Thursday.  Cross our fingers and hope.

Admittedly I began to tear up and got a little emotional in the room when I was given the news...you see...I just want to get them over with...I am really really disappointed.  Every day of delay brings me closer to treatments running into Victoria's due date.  I had hoped to have some weeks of recovery time to at least gain some strength back and be feeling better when our baby is born...to be there for Victoria in labour when she needs me most.  We have actually hired a doula (birthing coach) to offer both me and Victoria additional support during labour since we know I won't be able to physically support Victoria how she will need to be supported.  After all, I can barely hold a pencil / pen in my hands let alone offer them to massaging Victoria, rubbing her swollen feet or provide relief to her physical pains.

So where is the silver lining in all this?  I guess I should feel good that despite all the urgency to finishing these treatments my doctor puts my health and safety before all and will not put me at risk with treatment today.  I guess it is a good thing that at least this week I will feel well enough to join Victoria at the new Birthing Centre at St. Joseph's for our tour of the birthing unit and might be able to join Victoria at the appointment with our mid-wife this week.  That's what I will focus on....these positives.

But man...enough already. Come on, platelets.  Let's go.  I want to do this...to put this treatment and what will be 7 months of chemo in the "Been there. Done that" column on life's ledger.  


No comments:

Post a Comment