Monday, August 13, 2012

No sense in splitting hairs

Before I begin this post let me qualify what I am going to write by saying I know that it could be worse...I know this to be true.  Other chemo protocols have more significant side-effects specifically with regard to hair loss than the one that I am on.  I have not lost my hair. I haven't required a wig. In fact a common reaction from people that see me today who haven't seen me for some time (especially since before I started treatments in May) suggest that it's not immediately obvious by looking at me that I am undergoing chemotherapy treatments for cancer...


While that is great to hear (I guess) I want to take this opportunity to bid a fond adieu to much of my hair that has thinned out, that now exposes my scalp and is "patchy" all over. I find myself wearing a baseball hat pretty much all day, every day.  And I am NOT a hat person...before this summer I would really only wear a hat when driving the boat up at the cottage or one the golf course...now it is a part of my daily wardrobe along with socks and shoes since I cannot wear sandals due to the extreme sensitivity in my toes - sensory neuropathy is one of those other side effects of the chemo.  I don't want to sound "superficial" about my hair but one of the wonderful physical traits I inherited from my mother's side of the gene pool is a thick full head of hair.  And while my hairline isn't receding, my hair has thinned out this summer to expose my beautiful scalp underneath and looks pretty patchy...and for those that know me and my story more obvious that I am undergoing treatments.

So a proud shout out to the hundreds/thousands of hairs that have fallen this summer, that I have pullled out in small bunches...hopefully in the fall after treatments are done you will find your way back to me...You are fondly welcomed back!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment