Friday, August 17, 2012

Two minutes for delay of game

Should I write about the good news first or the bad news...hmmm...I guess it all depends on how you look at it, doesn't it?  First the good news...I feel pretty good.  My energy level is not bad, I can taste most things now, my mouth sores have retreated.  Victoria is feeling great as well...she gets more pregnant every day and we recently had a bit of a "scare"...moments of anxiety related to the pregnancy that after getting checked out seem to be okay.  Without going into too much detail we were beginning to get concerned about cramping and discharge that was really stressing Victoria and I out...so, when we were at St. Joseph's yesterday for my scheduled chemo appointment and an appointment Victoria had with the new birthing unit at St. Joe's she decided to take the advice of her OB-GYN and family and friends to check in with the triage nurses to have things checked out...and thankfully she did.  Everything seems fine with the baby...her heart rate is strong, Victoria's blood and urine came back normal and no signs of early labour.  So that is such a relief!!! And as a result we both slept last night well for the first time in several days.

Now the bad news...my bloodwork came back yesterday as too low in both neutrophils AND platelets to undergo #8 chemo treatment.  The neutrophils count is 1.40 (normal is between 1.9 and 8, threshold for treatment is 1.5) and my platelets are 69 (normal is 150-450, 75 is the threshold for continuing treatment).  The platelet drop is most concerning, although not dangerously low (I am not at immediate risk for internal bleeding) they are too low for continuing treatment.  So...we delay treatment and wait.  We (my Oncologist and I) agreed to wait the weekend and hope that the platelets rebound sufficiently over the four days.  With regard to the neutrophils, it is looking pretty certain that Neupogen injections are in my future.  In fact, the pharmacist provided me the Patient Reimbursement Program pamphlet for Neupogen and advised me to contact the manufacturer's Program and go through the assessment to determine coverage through my and Victoria's insurance plans and any residual co-pay that I would seek reimbursement assistance to cover.  Evidently each vial / injection is about $200 and potentially I could be looking at several injections (initially 5-7 for this treatment cycle with the potential of more "cycles").  Importantly, my Oncologist is also discussing with the Pharmacist a reduction in my chemotherapy dosage to counter the drop of neutrophils and platelets to these low levels.  And there is absolutely nothing I can do through diet or lifestyle to positively impact these levels - it is what it is.  It is a result of the chemo drugs doing what they are supposed to do.

The team was originally going to delay my next treatment one week to next Thursday but I resisted in light of the Bum Run next weekend (Aug 26).  I am determined to be well enough to participate in that Event especially considering that we have a whole team of family and friends who are participating AND we have had such an overwhelming group of sponsors and supporters who have donated to the cause.  It is so important to me to participate in the Bum Run, to meet with Dr. Bookman, the founder, and to walk for Colon Cancer.  Being treated next Thursday would probably mean I would not be well enough at all to participate on Sunday.

The worst part of this is the delay in treatments.  Hopefully the bloodwork on Monday will come back sufficiently with regard to platelets to undergo treatment #8. Oh well...I will look on the bright side.  I get to enjoy the taste of food this weekend!  Maybe I will celebrate that fact with a little fresh tomato sauce and pasta and some red wine ;-)

Take care all...and thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment