Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Calling all supporters...1st Annual "Bum Run"

When I was in for treatment last week the Oncology team was so excited to share news about a charity event that was being organized by a prominent Gastro-enterologist to raise funds and awareness about colorectal cancer - and what a great name for the event The 1st Annual Bum Run: Run for your Bum!!!  http://bumrun.com/  I was immediately intrigued and eager to find out more.   I have participated in or supported participants in several different and well-known (and for some very well established) events over the years but here is something that is truly near and dear to my heart...or to my butt as it is.   It is a 5k Run or Walk on Sunday August 26 in Toronto and promises to be a highly visible event launching from Queen's Park and traversing the streets of downtown TO.

I haven't registered yet but do plan to do so...but here is a shout out to anyone who is interested in joining me, forming a team for this event.  We can even think of a wickedly cool inspirational motivational team name....something with more zest than Team Brown ;-)  

Hey, Barb would this be something you,Tim and your Team James crew would be interested in teaming up with me and my crew?


If you are interested in forming a team with me for the Bum Run let me know either by commenting on this post, send me an email, text me or call me or tweet me (@davidbenbrown).

Thanks all!



Below are some details from the About the Run page on their website...


The Bum Run is a not for profit organization founded by Dr. Ian Bookman, a gastroenterologist in Toronto, with the goal of raising awareness about colorectal cancer screening in order to prevent the 95% of cancer deaths which still needlessly occur.

Our Mission

To increase awareness of how common colorectal cancer is today.  To increase participation in screening programs to prevent colorectal cancer.  To raise funds for charities that have a record in saving lives through promoting easy access to screening.

Colon Cancer Canada

This year, all proceeds will go toward Colon Cancer Canada, a national powerful organization that is dedicated to saving lives through increasing public awareness, promoting easy access to screening, funding research initiatives and providing support to colorectal cancer patients and their families.

Bio-K+ Bum Run Event

On Sunday August 26, 2012 at 8AM, participants will launch the inaugural Bio K+ Bum Run, a 5 Kilometre walk / run event to raise awareness of colorectal cancer.  It will be a highly visible event, starting at Queen’s Park Circle, and proceeding along  College Street, Spadina Avenue, Bloor Street and Bay Street.  This event is organized with the cooperation of the City of Toronto, local City Councillors, and the Sergeant of Arms of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Dave - I have sent you a text - let me know what you think.

    Luv Coll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Coll. Got your text and I think I clicked 'Going' on the Facebook event. Victoria and I are at a family wedding the Friday evening before so we may need to re-charge our energy levels before coming out ;-)

    Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No probs - enjoy the wedding, rest up and we'll see the two of you when you arrive. We'll be sure to save some of the fun for you!

      Delete