Saturday, July 21, 2012

Two weapons in my arsenal...



Who would ever have thought that mouthwash could be one of your best friends?!  My mother, Jean, actually introduced me to the Healthy Mouth mouthwash, all natural, fluoride and alcohol free (which is needed for chemo-induced mouth sores).  She says they work for her sores so I thought I would give it a try...and wow...not only does it taste pretty good (considering my lack of taste buds) but it really seems to work.  It cleared up a huge sore I had on my left side of my mouth last week in just a couple of days but gave me instant relief from the pain of the sore.  I use it preventatively now (I hate rinsing my mouth in salt water which is the prescribed method of prevention) and regularly.  It is a godsend.

The book...I just cannot put it down.  This book came to me recommended by my Onc team, my naturopath and my mother.  It looks at foods that are showing more and more "evidence" to assist in prevention of cancers and even some which research is beginning to conclude may even support the fight against active cancers that have already materialized beyond simple initiation and development phase. This highlights the naturaceutical powers of some foods to exhibit similar disease fighting capabilities as human manufactured drug therapies.  While I would never negate my own drug therapy regimen in place of simply diet and supplements there is much to be said about the powers of diet - foods - to complement drug therapy or even at a base minimum result in better overall health though diet.

Some of the foods highlighted in the book, called out for their anti-cancer potential, were and are a part of my diet already which is something validating for me mentally to know that I was and am on the right path in this regard.  Without outlining all the various foods called out in the book (I highly recommend anyone and everyone read this book.  It can absolutely do you no harm and may result in wonderful enlightenment to the power of food) here are a few of the foods specific to my type of cancer, colon cancer, that I am focused on   highlighting in my own diet plan:  blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, cruciferous vegetables like kale,  broccoli, cabbage, spices such as turmeric, cumin, black and cayenne pepper, soy beans, avacado, olive and coconut oil and coconut milk, garlic and onions galore, tomatoes - cooked and sauteed with olive oil - green tea and...wait for it...a glass or two of red wine...just to name a few.

After all...maybe food can help Kick the Crap out of Colon Cancer.  


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the hint about the Jason mouthwash Dave, I will DEFINITELY be picking some of that up ASAP. I have used Jason products in the past, but kind of forgot about them when all this happened. I hope you and Victoria are having a nice relaxing time at the cottage. And good for you for going off dairy and sugar, I tried that initially but just couldn't put the weight back on that my onc was wanting, so now I am eating anything that is high-calorie, but still trying to avoid sugar as much as possible. (Half-way back to my pre-op weight, so I guess I am doing something right!) Take care Buddy, talk soon...
    BJ

    ReplyDelete