Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Connecting with a Naturopath...making changes for life!

Sorry all for such a long time between posts...all is well just time has been moving so quickly these days.  To update you all on the side effects as I move to my next treatment this week they have been....well...better managed.  Mouth sores and sensory neuropathy are still pretty intense and the fatigue has come in waves but energy levels are pretty good all things considered and the GI issues are manageable / tolerable.

This past weekend, Victoria and I met with, Dr. Cinzia Genuardi (B.Sc, ND) a Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine.  We had discussed beforehand with my Oncology team that I hoped to connect with a Naturopath and they were supportive as long as we all work together and not work at cross-purposes.  I had been referred to Cinzia through a friend who had been guided through her battle with cancer and provided a moving testimonial to me to explore.  My goal is to supplement my treatment plan with natural alternative therapies, to complement the chemotherapy approach and regimen, and to help manage the side effects of the treatments through diet and supplements.

What a fantastic meeting albeit a little overwhelming mentally!  Cinzia's approach was so supportive.  We discussed me...from head to toe...how I am doing, how I am feeling...in extreme detail.  We discussed my drug therapy, all meds that have been prescribed as part of the treatments, all supplements that I take...all of it.  The focus then shifted to my diet...everything that I consume from the minute I wake to the end of the day.  From this lengthy and detailed discussion came her guidance and "prescription" if you will of changes to my diet and supplements to support my Treatment Plan.  Hence the overwhelm.   I had made some changes to my diet in concert with the start of my treatments months ago...nothing too drastic but really making conscious food choices that represented a more healthy diet and what I thought better armed to fight the cancer.  I had drawn up a list of what I call "super foods" that I tried to consume regularly, daily at minimum that included things like kale, broccoli, spinach, watermelon, strawberries, blueberries, asparagus, lemons, mangoes, arugula, raspberries, almonds, cherries, bok choy.  I openly admitted to consuming rice, bread, bananas, pasta especially on those days after chemo when the GI issues are most intense.  I talked about choosing organic fruits, veg and meats when and where possible.  I thought I was doing all the right things with regard to my diet...but after discussing with Cinzia (and reading the book Foods that Fight Cancer - a must read!) we developed a new diet plan...and there are drastic changes I am making immediately.

Sugar - OUT.  No sugar, no sweeteners unless naturally in a food (i.e. fruit) and on the new diet plan.  My lay person's understanding is that the goal is to deprive the cancer cells of their energy source.  At least Cinzia has conceded a half teaspoon of sugar in my morning coffee...whew!

Starch - OUT.  Any food that quickly converts to sugar in the body such as pasta, potatoes, rice are to be drastically reduced if not limited for the same reason as the removal of sugar from my diet.  Anyone who knows me knows that this is going to be a real challenge for me...I love pasta, I love rice...I don't just like them....I LOVE them.  On a positive note I am allowed to very occasionally include pasta or rice in a "celebration" meal ...so I have THAT to look forward to ;-)

Dairy - OUT.  This directive is supported by a lot of information out there that I had read previously...but admittedly there is a great deal of controversy over milk (and milk products) and their health value to our bodies...the thought here is that pasteurized milk is responsible for unhealthy impact to the mucosal layer of the colon / GI tract particularly because the act of pasteurization eliminates enzymes and bacteria that otherwise would healthily assist absorption of milk and it's nutrients.  Soy Milk is also out...the thinking there is that soy milk is a man made processed liquid that offers no real value to my body.  After panicking I asked about Almond Milk (I have come to enjoy almond milk over the past year) and got the go ahead to consume it...so it's not ALL bad news ;-)


So what's in then?

i) Granola, steel-cut oats, quinoa to replace rice, pasta and potatoes.  Good thing I love quinoa.
ii) Garlic, onions, lots of spices like basil, turmeric, cumin, cayenne, oregano.  Good thing I love spices.
iii) Dark green veg with every meal if possible.  Shouldn't be too problematic...remember I had added lots of dark greens to my list of Super Foods so I just need to increase how regularly I consume them.
iv) Water...and lots of it. Twice a day mix the water with aluminum-free baking soda to support alkalinity.
v) Fruits - watermelon (as long as it is seeded - unseeded watermelons are a man-made creation and I should try to avoid), blueberries and blackberries.  For now that's it....we may revisit later but remember our goal is to reduce drastically the amount of sugars in my diet.
vi) Meat and Fish?  Yes...but no pork...only free range, pastured meats such as chicken, turkey, red meat (occasionally) as long as it is organic or natural, hormone-free.  No shellfish, no bottom-feeding fish, no farm-raised fish....salmon and trout are good as long as they are wild.
vii) Green tea, lemon water...as long as I don't sweeten.

Supplements and other food products:
Curcumin (with Bioperine)
Probiotic (5 billion CFUs up to 10 billion)
Coconut oil
Coconut water for hydration
Baking soda with water 2 glasses a day

That's it for the most part....quite a test of my willpower to make some of these drastic changes but at the end of the day I realize the ultimate purpose (and goal) of this Plan.

So this Thursday Victoria and I will meet with my Oncologist and the team at St. Joseph's while I am in treatment to discuss all of the above recommendations, especially the supplements (curcumin and probiotics).    I am hopeful that they are completely on board and that everyone is supportive of this treatment plan.  And if they are maybe I can celebrate with a plate of pasta :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment